Standard Procedure for how to cut a cigar:
- Select a cutter: Choose a cutter that suits your personal preference and the type of cigar you are smoking. Guillotine cutters, V-cutters, and punch cutters are the most common options.
- Prepare the cigar: Remove any cellophane or band from the cigar. Ensure the cigar is straight and has a firm feel.
- Determine the cut location: The cut should be made approximately 1/16 of an inch from the head of the cigar, leaving enough of the cap intact to prevent the cigar from unraveling.
- Make the cut: Using the selected cutter, make a clean cut in one swift motion. The cut should be straight and precise. Avoid applying too much pressure or cutting too much off the
Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for Cutting a Cigar
- Gather necessary materials: To cut a cigar, you will need a sharp cigar cutter or a double-bladed guillotine, a lighter or a match, and the cigar itself.
- Choose the right type of cut: There are two types of cuts: the straight cut and the V-cut. A straight cut is recommended for cigars with a larger ring gauge, while a V-cut is better suited for cigars with a smaller ring gauge.
- Inspect the cigar’s head: The head of the cigar is the closed end, where you will make the cut. Look for any defects, such as cracks or frayed edges, and avoid cutting those areas.
- Hold the cigar: Hold the cigar firmly in one hand, placing your thumb and index finger at the cigar’s head.
- Position the cutter: Place the cigar cutter or guillotine close to the head of the cigar, about 1/16 of an inch from the cigar’s cap.
- Make the cut: Close the blades of the cutter with a swift motion, cutting through the cap of the cigar in a straight line. The cut should be clean and smooth, and the cap should not separate from the body of the cigar.
- Light the cigar: After making the cut, gently blow on the end of the cigar to remove any loose tobacco. Then, light the cigar using a lighter or a match.
- Enjoy the cigar: Take a few slow puffs, rotating the cigar between puffs to ensure an even burn.
- Dispose of the cigar: When you are finished, dispose of the cigar in a safe and appropriate manner, such as in an ashtray.
By following these steps, you can ensure that your cigar is cut properly and that you get the most out of your smoking experience.